Hemodialysis treatment is a procedure performed when the kidneys can no longer filter waste, salts, and fluids in the blood on their own. This procedure requires strict treatment schedules, regular medication, and changes in your diet. As one of the NEMT providers in Mount Prospect, Illinois, we cater to clients who need transportation to and from their dialysis treatments.
Although the side effects may vary from one person to another, here are some of the common side effects of hemodialysis:
- Abdominal cramps as the body adjust to the hemodialysis prescription
- Itchy skin before, during, or after the procedure
- Sleep problems such as sleep apnea or restless legs
Some patients also experience more serious side effects including:
- Low blood pressure accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, or vomiting
- Anemia or not having enough red blood cells
- Bone diseases due to being unable to absorb calcium
- Fluid overload when your drink more liquids than recommended in between treatments
- High blood pressure from too much salt or fluid
Immediately contact your healthcare team if you experience any of these side effects.
Are you in need of non-emergency medical transportation in Illinois to take you to your appointments on time? We at Excellence Transit LLC can make sure you get the medical care you need safely and on time.
We provide transportation services for dialysis treatments, adult daycare facilities, physical therapy, and others.
Leave a Reply